After 99 years, the
St. Edmund Parish School has closed. An account of its
final day was published in the Oak Park newspaper, Wednesday Journal. Click
here to read the story.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
A Brief History of St.
Parish School began its commitment to excellence in Catholic education
in 1917, when Father John Code made plans to construct a school on the
corner of Oak Park Avenue and Pleasant Street in Oak Park. Henry J.
Schlacks designed the building after the Palace of Justice in Rouen,
France. The cornerstone was laid on May 20, 1917, but the building was
not ready when school started in September. The children attended Bishop
Quarter School on Lake Street until the building was completed.
was dedicated on October 14, 1917 with a grand procession led by
Archbishop Mundelein and Father Code. The Dominican order of nuns from
Adrian, Michigan, originally ran the school and lived in a part of the
school until a convent was bought for them.
On May 9,
1948, Cardinal Stritch dedicated the annex, which included four new
classrooms, a music hall, and a library. Archbishop Albert G. Meyer
dedicated the new two-story addition to the school on April 28, 1959.
St. Edmund School formed a partnership with Dominican University in
River Forest, continuing its mission of providing a well-founded
Catholic education to the next generation of students. St. Edmund Parish
School proudly celebrated ninety years of service to the parish and to
the community in 2007, the year of the Parish Centennial.
The final day of school was June
Courtesy of Chicago